Tacoma Public Library is following the recommendations of local, state, and national health officials in making the decision to close all library locations to the public in order to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Effective Saturday, March 14, all Tacoma Public Library locations will be closed until further notice.
Fines will not accrue during the closure period.
- Starting on Tuesday, March 17, materials return drop boxes will be closed.
- Please hold onto library materials until we reopen.
- All materials currently checked out will be automatically renewed through May 1, 2020.
- Holds will remain on the pick-up shelves until the libraries reopen.
Parents and caregivers affected by school closures should be aware that Tacoma Public Schools students can use their student ID number to access:
- Downloadable eBooks and Audiobooks with Overdrive/Libby apps
- Worksheets and educational activities for elementary-age students through Scholastic Teachables
- Literacy and learning for younger readers from BookFlix and TrueFlix
- Educational lessons for all ages via HelpNow - check out the "Skill Surfer" section
See the full list of recommended eResources for students in our Online Library in the K-12 Homework Center.
And, valuable online resources are available to all card holders. Check out the Online Library of A to Z eResources for the full list including:
- Professional tutorials via Lynda, from LinkedIn Learning
- eBooks and Audiobooks via OverDrive/Libby app and Hoopla
- Streaming movies, TV, and the Great Courses with Kanopy and Hoopla
- Streaming music on Hoopla
- Digital Magazines on RB Digital
Sharing accurate information from trusted sources is critical to reduce misinformation. It's important to remember COVID-19 isn't connected to race, ethnicity, or nationality. Find and share reliable and current information about the outbreak from local, state and national agencies:
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
- Washington State Department of Health
- Center for Disease Control Prevention
- World Health Organization
Please check back on this page for ongoing updates on Tacoma Public Library’s response.