During this time of staying home and staying safe, it’s still possible to take advantage of free testing for a variety of industry certifications from Microsoft, Adobe and Intuit (QuickBooks). Testing from home is available via technology options from the library’s partners, Certiport and the Washington State Library.
Read on for more information about certifications and how to prepare for and register for an exam.
What is a certification? How can it benefit me?
Certifications demonstrate a level of achievement and knowledge in a subject area. They show what you know. Certain industry certifications are popular and useful to obtain, and are sometimes even required in the workplace, or to gain entrance to a school program.
In partnership with the Washington State Library, via funding from Washington State, Tacoma Public Library offers these certifications and exams:
Adobe Certified Associate (ACA)
Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
Apple App Development
Information Technology Specialist
Intuit QuickBooks (QBCU)
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) (available through June 2022)
Microsoft Certified Educator (MCE)
Microsoft Security Fundamentals (MSFUND)
Unity Certified User
For a full list of exams offered, contact Rhonda Kristoff: firstname.lastname@example.org
What steps should be taken to get certified?
- Prepare for the exam. Use one or all of these library resources:
- LinkedInLearning, opens a new window – access from the library website with a Tacoma library card
- GMetrix, opens a new window – download this free software for prep and practice testing program (https://support.gmetrix.net/download, opens a new window); contact Rhonda Kristoff: email@example.com for an access code
- Microsoft Imagine Academy, opens a new window – free downloadable study materials at https://www.tacomalibrary.org/resources/computer-job/
- Learn more about required skills and abilities for each exam area at the Certiport, opens a new window website.
- Take a practice exam.
- GMetrix - To be eligible for a free certification voucher, candidates must pass a practice exam in this software program. A passing score of 85% or better is required. Visit Download GMetrix, opens a new window to download the program and create a free account. Contact Rhonda Kristoff: firstname.lastname@example.org for an access code.
- Schedule the certification exam.
- Create a free account at certiport.com. Have your login information ready on the day of your testing appointment.
- Schedule a test by contacting Rhonda Kristoff: email@example.com; test dates are limited so please be prepared to offer at least 3 options for availability to test with 1-2 weeks advance notice.
- Prepare for testing from home by reading through Certiport’s page for test candidates: Exams from Home, opens a new window