On a warm summer evening, July 14th, 1920, the residents of Trafton Street between 6th Ave and South 8th Street were treated to Tacoma's first Block Party. The party was hosted by the Community Service Club in an effort to end the isolation of city life and help neighbors get to know one another. The area was blocked off and lit by lights provided by the City Light Department. Bunting and flags were hung and oriental lanterns graced the bushes. The asphalt street was treated with cornmeal and boric acid till it shown like a dance floor. Residents and curious neighbors, totaling over 600, turned out for a community singalong, street dancing and free popcorn, doughnuts and lemonade. The party was a great success and wound up near midnight as parents carried sleepy children home.