What Goes Around…

The resurfacing of Pacific Avenue from South 7th Street to South 17th in June of 1939 drew many curious onlookers. They were probably astounded by the appearance of the new red pavement but this pavement color was not to last. The red dye was used in the "Hunt clear-curing process" to stain, seal moisture in…
View More about What Goes Around…

Hold on Tight!

Six unidentified firemen from the combined Fire Departments of Puyallup and Auburn performed a life line drill at the firefighting demonstration held at the Stadium Bowl on June 19, 1936. The dramatic "rescue" from a specially built five story structure was one of the highlights of the three hour public performance of firefighting techniques presented…
View More about Hold on Tight!

Twin Launch Party

Coverage of twin launchings at McNeil Island. Vessel in water adjacent to wharf with a one-story building on it. 100 guests from the Mainland and proud inmate builders celebrated the launching of two 65-ft. tugboats built for the U.S. Army on June 17, 1943. WWII saw the revival of the shipbuilding program on McNeil which…
View More about Twin Launch Party

Taking a Swing at It

Mortie Dutra, a pro at the Grays Harbor Country Club, takes a swing for the camera in June of 1925. He was competing in the Pacific Northwest Golf Association (PNGA) open tournament, which began on June 19, 1925. The tournament would run through June 27th and include the open, amateur, women's and Class B competitions…
View More about Taking a Swing at It

Ms. Downtown Tacoma

In June of 1978, ten young women representing various downtown businesses vied for the title of Ms. Downtown Tacoma. One contestant would be selected to succeed Catherine Packer, 1977's title holder, who was a University of Puget Sound graduate employed by Jeremy's Restaurant. From L-R are: Jane Treleven of Gunderson's Jewelry, Teresa Harris of Union…
View More about Ms. Downtown Tacoma

Playing for Real

Scenes from Tacoma Little Theater's production of Robert Sherwood's "Petrified Forest." The play opened June 5, 1939 and was the final offering of the 1939 theatrical season. The play starred Jane Richter, Herman Huseby and Merle Bennett. The realistic set was designed by Erich Richter. The realism carried over to the props, with the actors…
View More about Playing for Real

Ben-Dew’s

The interior of Ben-Dew's Patio Cafe on Sixth Avenue provided a cozy, rustic atmosphere for dining on the restaurant's well-advertised fried chicken in May, 1954. Up to 60 customers could sit on bar stools resembling logs, paneled booth seating, or regular tables. Lanterns hung from long horizontal poles in the ceiling. The building had formerly…
View More about Ben-Dew’s

Ladies for the YWCA

In May of 1927, the leaders in the Y.W.C.A. building campaign posed around a poster advertising the fund raising drive that would kick off on May 23rd. The women are, front row (l to r); Daisy (Mrs. A.R.) Warren, Mabelle (Mrs. F.A.) Leach, and Mrs. George G. Wagner. Back row (l to r); Nora (Mrs…
View More about Ladies for the YWCA
1 - 10 of 272