Tacoma Public Library is hosting a yearlong reading challenge for Extreme Readers. Read 50 books in 50 weeks or less from a list of 55 categories and earn the coveted title of Extreme Reader. To participate, you must have a current Tacoma Public Library card and be at least 13 years old at the time you sign up. Teens 13 to 17 need to read 25 books from the listed 55 categories. Registration for the 2019 challenge opens on January 3, 2019 and closes on July 31, 2019. The challenge ends on December 21, 2019. To complete the challenge, bring your completed log into any Tacoma Public Library branch between August 1st and December 21st, 2019. Register today and learn all about becoming an Extreme Reader and connect with your fellow Extreme Readers in the Tacoma Library Extreme Reader Facebook group.
How to Participate
The Extreme Reader Challenge begins Thursday, January 3, 2019 and ends Saturday, December 21, 2019. To participate:
- Sign up online or in person at any Tacoma Public Library location between January 3, and July 31, 2019.
- Read 50 books in 50 weeks. Match the books you read to the reading categories provided. Teens 13-17 need to read 25 books in 50 weeks.
- As you read, keep a reading log with the book title, author, and category. Include a short description or your thoughts about the book if you like.
- You may keep your reading log in almost any form (e.g., spreadsheet, journal, typed list, website, or our ready-made logopens a new window), but you must present a printed/hard copy version to staff at time of completion. Completion details and instructions coming soon!
- Complete and show your reading log to library staff on/before Saturday, December 21, 2019. Completed reading logs will be accepted starting on August 1st, 2019.
- This challenge is open to Tacoma Public Library patrons only
- You cannot use the same book for multiple categories
- Adults must read 50 books to complete the challenge
- Teens must read 25 books to complete the challenge
- Audiobooks count toward the challenge
- To count a book, you must finish it by December 21, 2019
- Only library staff at the Tacoma Public Library may certify completion
- You may count any book you read for other programs (e.g., summer reading, book groups)
- Books at an Intermediate Reader level or lower don’t count for adults and teens
- You have to complete the challenge in order to win the prize.
Join the Tacoma Public Library Extreme Reader closed Facebook groupopens a new window. This group is for registered members only. Connect with other Extreme Readers, share what you’re reading this week, give and provide support to fellow Extreme Readers, learn about reading resources, and make new friends.
The prize for the 2019 Challenge is still to be determined. Please check back later for more information.
Extreme Reader Logo
You may use the Extreme Reader logo on your reading log. Choose a file to download:
- For a paper-based journal (higher-resolution)opens a new window
- For an online journal (smaller file size)opens a new window
For more information about the Extreme Reader Challenge, get in touch with us through our online Contact Us form.