Registration for the 2019 Extreme Reader Challenge has now closed. Please check back in January 2020 for information about the 2020 Extreme Reader Challenge.
About the Challenge
Tacoma Public Library is hosting a yearlong reading challenge for Extreme Readers. Read 50 books in 50 weeks or less from a list of 55 categories and earn the coveted title of Extreme Reader. To participate, you must have a current Tacoma Public Library card and be at least 13 years old. Teens 13 to 17 need to read 25 books from the listed 55 categories. Registration for the 2019 challenge opens on January 3, 2019 and closes on July 31, 2019. The challenge ends on December 21, 2019. To complete the challenge, bring your completed log into any Tacoma Public Library branch between August 1st and December 21st, 2019.
How to Participate
The Extreme Reader Challenge begins Thursday, January 3, 2019 and ends Saturday, December 21, 2019. To participate:
- Sign up online or in person at any Tacoma Public Library location between January 3, and July 31, 2019.
- Read 50 books in 50 weeks. Match the books you read to the reading categories provided. Teens 13-17 need to read 25 books in 50 weeks.
- As you read, keep a reading log with the book title, author, and category. Include a short description or your thoughts about the book if you like.
- You may keep your reading log in almost any form (e.g., spreadsheet, journal, typed list, website, or our ready-made logopens a new window), but you must present a printed/hard copy version to staff at time of completion. Completion details and instructions coming soon!
- Complete and show your reading log to library staff on/before Saturday, December 21, 2019. Completed reading logs will be accepted starting on August 1st, 2019.
- This challenge is open to Tacoma Public Library patrons only
- You cannot use the same book for multiple categories
- Adults must read 50 books to complete the challenge
- Teens must read 25 books to complete the challenge
- Audiobooks count toward the challenge
- To count a book, you must finish it by December 21, 2019
- Only library staff at the Tacoma Public Library may certify completion
- You may count any book you read for other programs (e.g., summer reading, book groups)
- Books at an Intermediate Reader level or lower don’t count for adults and teens
- You have to complete the challenge in order to win the rewards.
How to Complete
- Once you have fulfilled 50 categories (25 for Teens) and are ready to complete the Extreme Reader challenge, you will need to bring a printed copy of your reading log into one of our 8 branch locations to get it verified.
- If you used a digital/online log, please print a copy and bring that in.
- Prepare to spend 5-10 minutes with a staff member to go through the completion process.
- The reading log must include category, title, and author information for each of the books you read for the Extreme Reader challenge.
- Reading logs must be brought to one of our 8 branch locations by Saturday, December 21st, 2019 at 6:00pm to complete the challenge.
- You will receive a handout with details regarding rewards and what to expect after the challenge officially ends.
- Rewards will be given out after the challenge concludes on December 21st.
Join the Tacoma Public Library Extreme Reader closed Facebook groupopens a new window. This group is for registered members only. Connect with other Extreme Readers, share what you’re reading this week, give and provide support to fellow Extreme Readers, learn about reading resources, and make new friends.
Participants that complete the Extreme Reader challenge by the December 21st deadline will receive the following rewards:
- Invitation to attend the Extreme Reader Celebration Party
Date: Sunday, January 12th from 3-5pm
Location: Metroparks Star Center in Tacoma
Fun: There will be adult storytellers, activities, book talking by a publishing rep, some delicious food and drink, and a great time celebrating all of our Extreme Readers!
- Special Edition Extreme Reader Library Card
We are currently designing an exclusive library card just for our 2019 Extreme Reader finishers.
This card will feature your current library card number and can be used interchangeably with your current card. Or it can be framed and hung on a wall.
Additional details will be provided to participants after they have completed the challenge.
Extreme Reader Logo
You may use the Extreme Reader logo on your reading log. Choose a file to download:
- For a paper-based journal (higher-resolution)opens a new window
- For an online journal (smaller file size)opens a new window
For more information about the Extreme Reader Challenge, get in touch with us through our online Contact Us form.