All programs, events, and meeting room reservations are canceled through April 30, 2020.
Free In-Person Tax Help at Tacoma Public Library
See all dates and times.
AARP Tax Assistance at Moore Branch
215 South 56th Street, Tacoma WA 98408
The Moore Branch of Tacoma Public Library will be hosting the Free AARP Tax Assistance program every Wednesday beginning February 5, 2020, to April 8, 2020. The program is open to all who would like assistance, but is primarily geared toward senior citizens and those of low income. Assistance is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Capacity does fill quickly. The AARP is solely responsible for providing assistance.
What to bring to an AARP tax site:
- Participants must have a physical copy of their social security card and a valid photo ID
- Although it is not required, your tax returns from last year will expedite the process
Full list of required documents, opens a new window.
VITA Tax Assistance at Main Branch
1102 Tacoma Avenue South, Tacoma WA 98402
The Main Branch of Tacoma Public Library will be hosting free VITA tax assistance Saturdays beginning February 22 to April 11 (excluding March 14), 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $56,000 or less. IRS-certified volunteers provide free, basic income tax return preparation with e-filing to qualified individuals. Assistance is available on a first-come, first-served basis. VITA from Sound Outreach is solely responsible for providing assistance.
What to bring to a free VITA tax site:
- Wage and earning statements from all employers (W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 2099-Misc)
- Interest and dividend statements
- Health coverage statements (1095-A, B and C)
- Total paid for daycare provider and daycare provider's tax ID number
- Bank account direct deposit information if applicable
- Married filing joint tax-return, both spouses must be present to sign
Free In-Person Tax Help in the Community
List of 2020 Pierce County free tax help, opens a new window locations and paperwork to bring.
All AARP assistance, opens a new window sites.
All VITA, opens a new window (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) sites.
Additional Tax Help
You can request a tax assistance appointment at the local Tacoma-area IRS Office:
- 1201 Pacific Ave. (fountain level of the Wells Fargo Building), Tacoma, WA 98402
- Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. by appointment
- Call 1-844-545-5640 to schedule an appointment.
Free Online Filing
Prepare and file your federal income tax return online for free.
MyFreeTaxes, opens a new window: For households with incomes up to $66,000
IRS Free File, opens a new window: Brand-name tax software or online fillable forms plus electronic file
A limited quantity of the most popular tax forms may be available at some library locations. For form availability, please call Tacoma Library locations., opens a new window
Online Tax Forms
Tax forms and information from federal and state agencies can be obtained online. Choose one of the following options and follow the instructions at each site to download forms:
Printouts of forms/instructions can be made by patrons on library computers. Charges for printing apply.
Tax Forms By Mail
Call the IRS at 1-800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) or order online
General Tax Information
- Pierce County Assessor-Treasurer, opens a new window: Property tax information and parcel search.
- WA Business Taxes, opens a new window: Online filing and information on business taxes in Washington State, includes area sales tax rates.
- IRS Small Business/Self-employed Tax Center, opens a new window: Resources for small business, self-employed or contract employees.