The Great Steilacoom Jailbreak, 1944

On August 13, 1944, "The Great Steilacoom Jailbreak" was sponsored by the Steilacoom chapter of the Daughters of the Pioneers. The event encouraged town residents to "escape" their day-to-day activities to help demolish and say farewell to Steilacoom's historic jail. Built near Starling Street about 1858 by contractor George W. Manville, the building served as the town jail until 1881. Mary E. Foster is pictured here standing beside the old jail door.