“The Great Steilacoom Jailbreak", sponsored by the Steilacoom chapter of the Daughters of the Pioneers, was held on August 13, 1944. Town residents "escaped" from day-to-day activities to bid farewell to, and help demolish, their historic jail. Built near Starling Street about 1858 by contractor George W. Manville, it served as a jail until 1881. Mary E. Foster is standing beside the old jail door. Note the hands on the bars.