As Christmas Day 1934 neared, the basement of Tacoma lumberman J.T. Gregory's home at 1318 Division Ave. (now 1318 S 4th St.) was converted into Santa's workshop. The head toymaker was Percy Quam, pictured, who lived with Mr. Gregory. Percy and his friends gave up their usual holiday revels to spend the evenings building doll cradles, rocking horses, toy trucks, tiny wheelbarrows and other toys for kids who otherwise would have a joyless Christmas. The more than 100 toys, new and freshly painted, were donated to the Elks Stocking Fillers.