In 1947 Kaiser Aluminum under the name Permanente Metals leased the aluminum plant that was built in Tacoma by the Defense Plant Corporation. The plant had been built to provide aluminum for the war effort. With the end of the war, there was a surplus of aluminum and the plant had been closed. In October of 1947, Tacoma once again began to produce aluminum, but with the war over new products were created and entered the market including - safety wear. These safety shoes were manufactured with Kaiser Aluminum.