It’s not just about overcast skies and constant rain or our charming lack of snow! The Pacific Northwest is famous for its unique and interesting weather phenomena. Things like very strong rain shadow effects, or the Puget Sound Convergence Zone. My favorite is the Chinook Wind, especially when it leads to interesting cloud formations like lenticular clouds. Think of the mountains having towering domes, and then add a sunset to it! If you want to learn more about this and other interesting weather facts just take a look at these great titles.
- The Weather of the Pacific Northwest
- Pacific Northwest Weather
- Weather: An Illustrated History, From Cloud Atlases to Climate Change
- Weather Detective: Rediscovering Nature’s Secret Signs
- Rain: Natural and Cultural History
If you would like more information on Pacific Northwest weather check out this blog by University of Washington Professor and NPR commentator, Cliff Mass, http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/ . Tacoma Library also has more titles that you might like to read or put on hold here.