Tacoma Public Library has scheduled two weeks of budget closures in the 2021 calendar year in order to meet a budget shortfall. All libraries will be closed and all services will be unavailable.
The 2021 budget closure dates are: Feb. 21–28 and Nov. 28–Dec. 5. The closure dates were selected during weeks when library usage is historically low, in order to minimize impact on the public.
The City of Tacoma has experienced a significant shortfall in revenue due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Tacoma Public Library has worked with its union partners to find a way to meet its $1.2 million budget reduction. Rather than implement permanent staffing layoffs to meet the shortfall, Tacoma Public Library’s staff will take two weeks of unpaid furlough each year of the 2021–2022 biennium.
Tacoma Public Library patrons should plan to pick up holds and download eBooks, audiobooks, and magazines prior to Feb. 21–28 and Nov. 28–Dec. 5. During the budget closure, patrons will have access to all items already checked out.
Specific service disruptions also include:
- TPL to Go materials pickup services will be unavailable during the budget closures.
- All library book drops will be locked and closed. No materials will be due during the closures. Patrons should keep books and materials at home until the library system reopens.
- The library website and online catalog will be unavailable. Patrons will not be able to search the catalog or databases, use eResources, place holds on materials, or access their library account.
- Staffed services such as email, phone, or live chat for reference, research, or general help will be unavailable.
- All TPL social media accounts will be inactive.
- No live virtual programs or events will take place; however, the library’s YouTube channel, opens a new window will be available for on-demand programs.
- No mail or deliveries will be received during the closure.
Stay up to date on Tacoma Public Library news by visiting tacomalibrary.org, or connecting with us on our social media channels: Facebook, opens a new window, Twitter, opens a new window, Instagram, opens a new window, LinkedIn, opens a new window, and YouTube, opens a new window.