New young swimmers, 1942

This group of newly minted mermaids was photographed in the Y.W.C.A. pool, 405 Broadway, on August 27, 1942. For the first time that year, the pool remained open for the whole summer to expand the recreation facilities available to children spending their vacation at home. The youngsters pictured could not swim at all at the…
View More about New young swimmers, 1942

United by Love, 1938

The 19th century melodrama "United by Love" was presented on August 23, 1938 on a Works Progress Administration (WPA) traveling stage in Tacoma's South Park. The "Theater on Wheels," a joint enterprise of the WPA and the Metropolitan Parks Board, featured more than 100 performers in a variety of productions accompanied by the 6-piece professional…
View More about United by Love, 1938

Columbarium, 1924

This August 1924 photo showcases the recently added columbarium at Oakwood Cemetery & Funeral Home in Tacoma. In response to an increasing number of cremations, an additional columbarium was built in 1923 to supplement the original, smaller one. The niches, stacked one on top of another, were encased in glass so that urns and other…
View More about Columbarium, 1924

Master Gardener, 1974

Tacoma's John Miller was a master gardener who helped others with their gardening efforts through the Master Gardener Program Clinics sponsored by the Pierce County Cooperative Extension Service. Mr. Miller, pictured here in August of 1974 watering his garden, had just harvested a bumper crop of potatoes from his 65 x 135-foot lot overlooking Puget…
View More about Master Gardener, 1974

Selika Pettiford, 1948

Noted organist Selika Pettiford, wearing a floor-length lace gown, posed at the piano and electric organ she played at the Olympus Hotel in August 1948. Behind her are two mirrors positioned so the audience could watch her hands as she performed. The Olympus Hotel was located at 815 Pacific Avenue. http://goo.gl/KdYgbh…
View More about Selika Pettiford, 1948

Cable-Car Seating, 1954

Steve's Cafe, more commonly known as Steve's Gay 90's, was a popular eating establishment for several decades. Located on South Tacoma Way, it was owned by Stephen O. Pease and John J. Stanley and offered, according to the 1954 Tacoma city directory, a "Smorgasbord of American Dishes Served in an Atmosphere of the Gay 90's.…
View More about Cable-Car Seating, 1954