Fort Lewis, 1969

Army personnel could choose from cold and hot snacks at the built-in vending machines at Fort Lewis in January of 1969. Milk, sodas and ice cream were located near the right wall, and soups and dry snacks were on the left. Bright red chairs coupled with turquoise tables provided space to dine and gather…
View More about Fort Lewis, 1969

And now for something a little bit different: Northwest Room periodicals

Your local library branch subscribes to a wide selection of newspapers and periodicals, but in the Main branch’s Northwest Room you can find magazines devoted to all things Washington and the Pacific Northwest. Titles include Mazama Monthly Bulletin, Sea Chest, Washington Thoroughbred, Wooden Boat and a variety of historical society newsletters. For the genealogist in…
View More about And now for something a little bit different: Northwest Room periodicals

Mother’s March, 1958

On January 20, 1958, ten women posed on the steps of the Tacoma Athletic Commission's headquarters on Ruston Way to support the Mothers March of Dimes annual campaign. Pierce County was very active in collecting funds for the March of Dimes, with areas of the county divided into several sections and campaigns carefully planned to solicit…
View More about Mother’s March, 1958

A Lover’s Oath, 1926

In January of 1926, an unidentified uniformed usherette stood at attention next to the ornate ticket booth within the exterior foyer of the Pantages Theater, located at 901 Broadway. The silent film "A Lover's Oath" starring Ramon Navarro and Kathleen Key opened at the Pantages on January 16, 1926 and ran for the traditional one…
View More about A Lover’s Oath, 1926

Snow Storm, 1950

The snow storm that hit Tacoma on January 13, 1950 turned downtown into a winter wonderland. In this photograph, taken the evening of January 14th, a man wearing an overcoat, hat and boots stops to look in the window of Nancy's Baby Portrait Studio at 736 Pacific Avenue. Tacoma had received almost nine inches of…
View More about Snow Storm, 1950

Aerial Tacoma, 1961

This aerial view of Tacoma, taken from 1,200 feet, shows I-5 and the 38th Street cloverleaf as they appeared in January of 1961. The simple curve of the highway had not yet been complicated by the addition of the Highway 16 interchange. The houses to the left are surrounded on the north and west by…
View More about Aerial Tacoma, 1961

The Branding Iron, 1958

A distinctly Western motif greeted customers of the Branding Iron restaurant in January, 1958. Horseshoes, pistols, gates, and even a steer's head decorated the walls. Jukeboxes would be readily accessible for patrons to play their favorite tunes. Owned by Leo Balistreri and Ernie Zarelli, the Branding Iron was located at 8413 Pacific Avenue across the…
View More about The Branding Iron, 1958

Mountaineers, 1922

Eighteen members of the Mountaineers Club posed for a group portrait before a background of snow-capped trees in late December of 1922. The men and women were at Longmire, located in Mount Rainier National Park. 160 Mountaineers left Tacoma on December 28th for their annual midwinter climb up Mt. Rainier. They made the hike from…
View More about Mountaineers, 1922